24 June 2007

Church Shopping: Mosaic Austin

We went back to Mosaic tonight. Unfortunately, it was yet again an abnormal service. This was their last night to meet in that unfinished closet at First Baptist Church of Austin. So, they had a special time of sharing of "dreams" for the new space at 5619 W. Airport Blvd. and memories of the space at FBC-Austin. It was cool to see a church celebrate where it's been and cast vision for where it is going.

There are a lot of pros and cons to Mosaic. There's some things that are amazingly both a pro and a con about Mosaic. However, I've had a positive experience in being there these two times. I'm interested in looking further into this church.

Here's a list of positives: different than anything I've know a church to be, pretty small, very prayer-driven, very art-focused and art-friendly, community-oriented, an emphasis theology, and very focused on outreach to the community.

Here's some negatives: different than anything I've know a church to be, not much talk about foreign missions (only community missions), maybe a little prideful about the theology thing (that might be unfair), and I've yet to have someone say "I haven't seen you here before" or "Are you new?"

It's hard to feel a part of this church at first. Everyone knows each other, because it's so small. They have their own songs that they've written within the community (no Passion or Hillsong United songs here, please), so I don't know how any of them go. It's just really different from anything I have ever experienced.

However, I feel like I would feel more a part of the church if I were involved in community groups and as I learned the songs that they sing. I like that they really see worship as more than singing--that it's can be anything expressing our love for God (including life and serving the community around us). They had several people read poetry in the service tonight. One person spent the whole service painting, and there's an art gallery in the new space. I feel like this place is very connected with God's love for the arts and connected with the idea of redeeming the arts.

I've yet to hear someone teach the word on a Sunday night. Part, I've come to two random services (one with a guest speaker and one a transition between old and new). They have scripture readings throughout the services and push deep bible study in community, so I imagine the service is the same.

The biggest problem is a lack of attention (seemingly) to foreign missions. Granted, TOMS is an outreach to another part of the globe, and they had Blake come speak. Also, missions to the people of Austin and the international community near the new space is important too. However, I've yet to hear anything in a service or see anything on Mosaic's website about spreading the Gospel across the globe. Is that something that should cause Adam and I to run? Or, in such a small community, is that something that we would add? I think of New Heights and Joseph Mason. Joseph's dad is an elder at New Heights. When Joseph was hired to be the youth pastor, New Heights had very little interest. Joseph brought his passion for the nations with him to New Heights. Now, the church has missionaries around the world, pushes Perspectives On the World Christian Movement, and is on the board for ADMG. Wow. What a difference one man made in a community of believers by being passionate.

All this is to say, I'm not sure where I'll be going to church yet. I really liked the two places that I visited today...a lot. I felt really comfortable at The Stone, and I felt challenged at Mosaic. I feel like I would fit in the community at either. We'll just have to see where God leads me, because that is where I will follow.

(P.S. - What are the odds of moving the entire Grove body to Austin?)

2 comments:

GL said...

so what did you decide to do? What community did you end up committing to?

Jennet said...

Hi, I used to go to Mosaic and I just wanted to say that I completely agree with you. I even went to the small groups. I loved the church, but after going for a while to the services and the small groups... I never had anyone from my small group acknowledge me inside church, and the ONLY reason the pastor knew who I was from week to week was because I was dating one of his old churchmates from when he lived up north. I'm still looking for a church (how I came across this, actually). So have you found one yet?