24 June 2007

Church Shopping: The Austin Stone

We visited another church today. It's called The Austin Stone Community Church, and it really reminded me of The Grove. There's a lot of things in Austin that remind me of bigger versions of things in Fayetteville. Bull McCabe's is like a bigger Crown Pub. Lamar Ave. is like a bigger 71B. I-35 is like a bigger I-540. 6th Street is like a bigger Dickson. In a way, Austin really is like a bigger Northwest Arkansas. For the most part, it's a Fayetteville. But, there's Round Rock and Pflugerville that are like your Rogers and Bentonville. My point is this: The Stone is like a bigger Grove.

There's a few more people with a couple more services. Nonetheless, it seems like a really similar church. The style of worship is similar. The age range is similar. The style of the sermon is really similar. They have a ton of community groups all over town, which is good. Community=good.

Here's the "pros": similar to Grove in many respects, downtown Austin, meets in a high school gymnasium (not a super-fancy building), sermon was intellectually challenging, worship was sincere, they support Austin's version of Church Under the Bridge (at the I-35 overpass of 7th Street), and they support missions (had 2 short-term teams just return).

Here's the "cons": Chris Tomlin is on staff and leads once a month (meaning, I have to pretend to like Chris Tomlin and there's a lot of people just there to hear him), the service seemed hierarchical--I didn't feel like you'd ever see someone like a Mike Harper giving the sermon or have a lot of participation from members in the band (I could be wrong about this), and it's kind of big for my taste as far as number of people.

Here's the thing. The Chris Tomlin con isn't entirely serious. He is a great worship leader, and he has to work somewhere. I am turned off by the fact that there will be a lot of church hoppers. I could be wrong about the separation of body and staff thing. I might have to get over the numbers thing, because this town has a lot of people like me who want to go to the types of churches I want to go to.

There's one thing that is a question for me: the prayer culture of the church. However, I hear that they have a Wednesday night prayer meeting that I'd want to check out. I would also like to see a community group to experience the prayer culture of the church.

I like that they have a 5:00 and 7:00 night service to offset a 10:45 (soon to be 9:00 and 11:00) morning service. This would allow me to go to the Church Under the Bridge here in Austin, where I could worship with the homeless and the poor. That's very appealing.

We're about to re-visit Mosaic (the hippies and hipsters church) tonight. They have a new building (small and in a shopping center), and it should be a normal service (i.e., Blake Mycoskie from TOMS won't be speaking). I'm interested to see what it's like. Adios.

1 comment:

Carol Creel REALTOR said...

Thanks for visiting the Stone! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ( : I've been going to the Stone for about 2 years. My favorite thing about it is that I can *feel* God's presence there every time I'm there, and it's because I really think that the church passionately longs for the will of God to be done. God has revealed himself to me at the Stone unlike any other church I've ever experienced.

I know that if you talked to more people about it or visited some more, you'd understand that the Stone doesn't flaunt their popular worship leader, Chris Tomlin (or any of the leaders of the church for that matter). If anything, they do the complete OPPOSITE. Every one of the leaders will be the first ones to say that we can be thankful for a particular church leader, but our hearts should only love, worship and praise the Lord.

Also, I'm not sure if you heard, but Chris Tomlin has left the Stone to start up a church in Atlanta, GA. Yes, we're sad to see him go, but even more, we're overwhelmed with joy and excitment for what God is going to do in Atlanta.

The heartbeat of God is still strong at the Austin Stone and is continuing to grow in the hearts of the people. God is doing so many wonderful things in the lives of Austinites for HIS glory, and (without taking a speck of credit for all the wonderful things that are happening) let me tell you...the Stone has God's strong favor upon it!

I encourage you to come back and visit if you haven't found a church home where you can live in community and grow in Christ. (( : I've grown more as a believer in the last 2 years than I have in the 17 years since I became a Christian. I never before realized how much I would gain by giving it all up. God is so good and I really feel like people at the Stone know and believe that with all their hearts minds and souls. ( :