22 June 2007

I Just Paid for Wi-Fi, but At Least I've Had an Amazing Week

So, Adam is at his interview with the local Anderson rep here in the ATX. Me? I'm sitting at a Starbucks that's about a half a block away. Can you believe they didn't have free Wi-Fi? I had to pay to use their "T-Mobile Hot Spot." That's pure crap.

On a brighter note, it's good to be in Austin. I've been in Texas for a week now, and I think I can handle the muggy July heat. Pretty soon, I'll be a resident of this state. Crazy, huh?

Anyway, the last week in Waco was everything which I hoped it would be. I painted a house, cleaned a kitchen, sorted clothes, gave a devotional at a homeless shelter, went to a church that meets underneath an interstate overpass (Church Under the Bridge) during a rain storm, played with kids at a 3-day camp at a rec. center in a government housing complex, and witnessed my students at New Heights grow in so many ways. It was amazing.

It's hard to think about spending a week with those New Heights guys and gals then going straight to find an apartment in a new town. I'm really going to miss working at that church, and I'm really going to miss those kids. Leading those kids in worship has undoubtedly been the biggest privilege I have ever been given as a worship leader. If I had to choose 1,000 times between the ability I had to control lights and have bands at Fellowship for 5 years or worshiping with these New Heights kids for 6 months, I'd choose the NHSM kids 1,000 times. When those kids encounter Jesus in worship, it's amazing--whether in a Boys & Girls Club, a warehouse, or a small training center in Waco. I pray that God would continue to teach them to abandon themselves to His glory.

Quick story. We had an extended time of singing on Wednesday night. It was our last night. We wanted kids to have the ability to respond to Him and reflect on their week. Josh put out a bowl of water and a towel, so they could wash someone's feet if they wanted. In the midst of singing, I opened my eyes for a moment to see one of my guys (who never really sings on Sundays) just singing out to God, and I just about lost it. I looked over moments later to see his little sister washing his feet, and I couldn't hold it in. I just cried. I have prayed for these two kids and their brother (who I saw lying prostrate on the floor) for months. I honestly feel that they have more leadership potential than just about any of the kids in our ministry. To see him crying out to Jesus, to see her humbly washing her big brother's feet, and to see their brother lying facedown in worship touched my heart so deeply.

I cannot wait to move to Austin. I'm excited beyond all realization. However, I am daily realizing that there is a lot that must be left behind to get here. Right now, I'm sitting in a Starbucks in Austin. Pretty soon, this will become a regular occurrence (except, probably with a more local coffee house). Yet, I can't help but think about those kids, my job at New Heights, The Grove, the University of Arkansas, my favorite places on Dickson, the way Fayetteville looks at night when you first drive into the city, looking at the Christmas lights on Old Main, and mostly my friends and family. There's a lot to leave behind, but is there ever an adventure that doesn't start with leaving all you've known and loved behind?

1 comment:

Stu said...

James, that was a picturesque description of a life in motion. I really appreciate you sharing that...even if you are moving to Austin. Can't wait to hang out some before you leave. Get home safe!