23 July 2007

Resumé Building...


Well, as you have no doubt heard or read by now, I am preparing to move to Austin, TX. Now, as much as I'd love to call myself a professional musician--because I have been paid on so many occasions to play the ol' guitar--I simply cannot support myself on music alone. Later on down the road, I hope to make that dream a reality, but I'll need to try some extra-curricular activities in order to eat, pay bills, buy music, and bribe city officials.

Now, I have a friend who said he could most certainly secure a job in the food service industry--as a waiter at Santa Rita's Cantina. However, I'm trying to shoot a little higher at the moment. I'm currently working on my resumé, so that I can pursue a corporate (that's right, insert your gasp) job. However, I have a certain corporation in mind.

There is a certain computer company that is partially based out off Austin. I'll give you a hint--it's neither Dell nor IBM (Austin's other computer industry giants). Another hint is that I'm typing on one right at this moment. This company, which has excellent benefits and sweet discounts, is a corporation at which I'd be proud to say I worked (namely because of the discounts and sweet products).

Nonetheless, I'm currently working on using my experience from Sam's Club Call Center and Data Forms, Inc to make myself sound like a customer service genius--a prodigy of customer care and relations. I scoffed at the idea of resumé writing in Advanced Composition (where I was fictionally attempting to obtain a job as a Jr. Copywriter for a company in New York City). Now, however, I'm putting to good use the knowledge instilled into me by Fabio (my instructor totally looked like a skinnier, less foreign, more heavy-metal-gone-GQ version of Fabio). We'll see what happens. Nonetheless, if I get this, Adam and I will have both secured great jobs. Considering my only other friends in Austin are a waiter/massage therapist and a valet attendant, I feel good about this.

3 comments:

Compston said...

Am I wrong in thinking that no more than a week and a half ago, you called the Andrew Bird album, "my[your] new number 1 album of the year?" Now it's not in the top 10? What gives?

Jacob said...

Well, it's actually #3 if you check the list again. I re-evaluated my feelings on Neon Bible, erego I put Neon Bible back above it. Right now, I think I like Boxer better than any album out there, so it's #1. That could change. Everything is fluid. Albums can move all the time. One day you're #1, the next day you're #12, and the next day your back up to #2. It's all very subjective.

James Miller said...

Apparently Bailey's friend Jacob was signed in on my computer. That was me that replied to Mr. Compston.