08 July 2007

Your Boyfriend's Back...

Okay, so I'm not anybody's boyfriend. Boy toy? Maybe. Nonetheless, I'm finally back in town for a long stretch of time. In the past 3 weeks, I've slept in my own bed twice. I left for Waco, TX on the 16th, went straight to Austin, was in Fayettenam for 1.5 days, went to Branson, was in The Ville for 1 day, left for Colorado, returned 1 week later, and I immediately left for Brian & Gennie's wedding in Little Rock.

Well, it was all worth it. Waco was awesome. Austin was fruitful (found a probable house). Branson was cheesy (especially Dixie Stampede). Colorado was beautiful. The wedding was a freakin' blast. All-in-all, I was blessed to have so much to do. I mean, I could've been sitting on my butt playing Wii or watching Friends or Seinfeld DVD's repeatedly. Instead, I had adventures--and plenty of them.

There's just too much to tell you about from all those trips. I guess I shared some Waco/Austin experiences in my last few posts. I mean, what the heck, how about a Colorado story or two?

Okay, this is exciting. We went to Noah's Ark to raft the Arkansas River. [Quick lesson in irony: This is ironic, because you wouldn't expect Arkansans to travel 15 hours to go down the Arkansas River. This would be like someone in Colorado driving to Austin to float down the Colorado River. The outcome is unexpected and thus ironic.] The day started slow. I sort of underestimated myself, and I went in the combo raft (which has a guide with oars). In my defense, I didn't want Mark (a Springdale senior who had broken his hand/wrist) to be the only guy on the combo raft and I was hoping to be able to video some rafting action (the camera ended up not working). Anyway, we were about 5.5 miles down stream when the wrath of God fell from the heavens. I'm not even joking. We had large marble-sized hail for over 45 minutes. I'm not sure the actual amount of time that it hailed, but we were off the river for 45 minutes due to hail. Thus, it was at least 45 minutes of hailing. I experienced the early stages of hypothermia, which was scary and exhilarating all at the same time. Basically, it was the most epic rafting trip ever. It put my rafting trip in Alaska to utter shame.

Another story? Yes? How about a quick summation of the spiritual atmosphere of Timberline? I'm not sure what it is about Colorado, but it seems like it's easier to experience God when you're 8,000 feet closer to heaven. I guess you can couple that with being surrounded by His beautiful creation that serves as a constant reminder of it's Creator, constantly talking about spiritual things with students, and removing myself from the distractions of the world (my computer, my iPod, my cell phone, my TV, etc.). Guess what? I didn't listen to one CD while I was there. I had no idea what Pitchfork was reporting. I made one call the whole week...to my mom, about the application for my house in Austin. I just got the heck away. The kids did the same, and it was amazing. God really broke down some spiritual barriers in some students' hearts. For others, he lit a fire that they'll carry back to the darkness of their schools. It was great. More than anything, people got excited about praying for their schools, for each other, and for the nations. What could be better than that?

Seriously, Colorado was amazing. I loved hanging out with those kids. I loved leading worship all week. It was great getting to spend time with guys like Finley Robinson and John Flowers--who both challenge me and encourage me so much. Basically, I wish I could still be there, but I'm so glad to be home. So, you might remember me posting about being "homeless." Well, I feel home right now. I'm done movin' and shakin' all over the country. It was good to be home, to go to Grove, to hang out with my roommates, and I'm about to sleep in my own bed. Hallelujah.

Also, another quick high point of traveling. The wedding was a blast last night. I had to shatter some traffic laws, but I made it to the ceremony in time. It was an enjoyable (and short!) ceremony. The reception was great. I got a free beer and plenty of free diet cokes. The food was amazing (stuffed mushrooms!!). Dancing with all of my friends was a blast. Also, speaking of irony...I heard a wedding band that consisted of 5 African-American males singing the words "Play that funky music white boy." It was fun catching up with people I hadn't seen in a while--especially a Mr. Adam Argo. I stayed at La Casa Argo after the wedding. Since Meredith was working overnight, Adam and I stayed up late listening to music and talking about music. It was a blast, and it reminded me that I miss Adam Argo. Above all else, though, it was really awesome to get to celebrate the fact that God brought Brian and Gennie together. Soon enough, I'll actually update Gennie's name over on the Blog Roll.

Well, I've rambled enough. I've updated for no apparent reason. It's been real. It's been fun. Heck, it's been real fun, but I'm tired and going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are some great Branson shows! Did you get to see any?