13 June 2007

Band of the Week...or Longer

So, I know I was raving about The Frames the other day as my new band that I'm obsessed with. Well, they've already been dethroned. I know, this is friggin' ridiculous. However, I can't help it. I love music. I love falling for new bands. So, my new band is The National.

They're a 5-piece from Ohio, which is pretty cool. Ohio is sort of near & dear to my heart being that I lived 30 miles south of Cleveland (in Medina) from the age of 10 to the age of 14. It's pretty sweet to get into a band from Ohio...especially one that's not a crappy roots rock band (read: OAR).

Anyway, I got The National's newest release (as in a few weeks old) Boxer a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it. In fact, I think it's becoming one of my favorites albums of 2007--making a possible run at Writer's Block, Armchair Apocrypha, and (gasp!) Neon Bible. So, I wanted to hear some of the back catalog. While in Columbia, MO this week, I picked up a limited edition copy of their 2005 release Alligator. This pretty much cemented my love affair with the band.

The thing I love most about this band is the ability they have to produce musical understatement. Matt Beringer's low Cohen-esque vocals are what make this band. The vocals giving this dragging, apathetic feel to the music. I love it. Musically, the band mixes driving Joy Division influenced rock with chamber pop--layering strings and pianos behind their simple two guitar & bass lineup. The National have a good ability not to overstate the case on anything. The bass lines are great, the guitars are big, and the drums are solid; but nothing overtakes the song. There's no real point where I describe the song by any individual instrument's sound (with the exception of the piano on a few songs).

I give you my full recommendation on this band. I hold nothing back. I don't feel even the least bit unsure about giving them my backing. This is a band that you won't regret listening to for any reason.

4 comments:

erinelizabeth said...

have i ever told you that i really love your music review posts? well, i do. thanks for jumpstarting the rest of us into listening to good, new music instead of sticking to the rut of bands i know and love (not that they're bad). just think about all the awesome, new indie bands you'll get to hear in austin!!

Stu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stu said...

I don't have a degree in English or anything, but I believe the phrase, "There a 5-piece band from Ohio..." requires a "they're." I could be wrong.

James Miller said...

Grr. You are correct, my man.